"The Adventure of Wisteria Lodge" is one of the fifty-six written by British author Arthur Conan Doyle. One of eight stories in the cycle collected as His Last Bow, it is a lengthy, two-part story consisting of "The Singular Experience of Mr. John Scott Eccles" and "The Tiger of San Pedro", which on original publication in The Strand bore the collective title of "A Reminiscence of Mr. Sherlock Holmes".
Holmes is visited by a perturbed proper English gentleman, John Scott Eccles, who wishes to discuss something â€œgrotesqueâ€. No sooner has he arrived at 221B Baker Street than Inspector Gregson also shows up, along with Inspector Baynes of the Surrey Constabulary. They wish a statement from Eccles about the murder near Esher last night. A note in the dead manâ€™s pocket indicates that Eccles said that he would be at the victimâ€™s house that night.
Eccles is shocked to hear of Aloysius Garciaâ€™s beating death. Yes, he spent the night at Wisteria Lodge, Garciaâ€™s rented house, but when he woke up in the morning, he found that Garcia and his servants had all disappeared. He was alone in an empty house. He last remembers seeing Garcia at about one oâ€™clock in the morning when he came to Ecclesâ€™s room to ask if he had rung.
Eccles met Garcia, a Spaniard, through an acquaintance, and seemed to form an unlikely friendship right away. Garcia invited Eccles to stay at his house for a few days, but when Eccles got there, he could tell that something was amiss. Garcia seemed distracted by something, and the whole mood of the visit seemed quite somber. Indeed, Garciaâ€™s mood became even darker once his servant handed him a note that evening.
Eccles left Wisteria Lodge and inquired about the place at the estate agentâ€™s, and was surprised to find that the rent on the house had been paid in full. Odder still, no-one at the Spanish Embassy in London had heard of Garcia.
Inspector Baynes produces the note that Eccles saw Garcia receive. It reads â€œOur own colours, green and white. Green open, white shut. Main stair, first corridor, seventh right, green baize. Godspeed. D.â€, in a womanâ€™s handwriting. Could it have been a tryst? Could a jealous husband be behind Garciaâ€™s death?
It emerges that Baynes has deduced that Garciaâ€™s body had been lying out in the open since one oâ€™clock, but Eccles says that this is impossible, as Garcia came to his room about then. Holmes theorizes that Garcia may have tampered with the clocks to get Eccles to bed earlier than he thought it was, and that the whole business of coming to his room and making a point of mentioning that it was one oâ€™clock â€” when it was probably much earlier â€” was likely aimed at setting up an alibi, but for what?
All that Holmes can deduce is that the murderer lives near Wisteria Lodge, and in a big house.
Sir Arthur Ignatius Conan Doyle DL (22 May 1859 â€“ 7 July 1930) was a Scottish physician and writer, most noted for his stories about the detective Sherlock Holmes, which are generally considered a major innovation in the field of crime fiction, and for the adventures of Professor Challenger. He was a prolific writer whose other works include science fiction stories, historical novels, plays and romances, poetry, and non-fiction.
100% of buyers would recommend this product to a friend
0% of buyers would buy this product again
100% of buyers experienced acceptable delivery time
100% of buyers said this product arrived in the described condition
Reviewed September 8, 2012
CFRASER'S EBOOKS Refund Policy
All sales are final. No refunds are available as all products are digital downloads.
If you have any problems with products, I will gladly resend product to ensure that you recieve great quality products. Please whitelist firstname.lastname@example.org to ensure you recieve your book. All books are usually emailed within 48 hrs of recieving notice from Tripleclicks. Thank you for your purchase.
15 VP (VersaPoints)
Commission Volume (CV): $0.19/$0.19 SO
Direct Commission (DC): $0.09/$0.09 SO
TC Executive Pool (EP): $0.08/$0.08 SO
Co-Sponsor Comm (CSC) $0.03/$0.03 SO
SO = If part of a Standing Order
• To promote this item, refer prospective customers to:
• To promote ALL of this ECA's listings, refer customers to:
• To promote ALL listings assigned to the Digital Downloads department, refer customers to:
You have 0 VersaPoints so far this month. Earn 15.00 more VP with a purchase of this product or with a sale to a personally referred TripleClicks member. A sale will also earn you a $0.09 Direct Commission.
• The more VP you earn each month, the higher your SFI commissions can go. See the Benefits Chart at the SFI Affiliate Center for complete details.
• Share information about this product via Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, e-mail, and other social networking sites. Just click the "SHARE IT!" button above.
• For a personalized, print-ready QR Code Flyer for this product, click HERE.
• You can also include this product within a shared, saved search promotion link to share in e-mails, business blogs, and your personal and business Websites. Simply search for a group of products to promote, using any or all filters and sorts you want. Then click the "SHARE THESE RESULTS" button on the right side of the page above the filters to generate a unique, short (tcgo.info) URL. Use this URL to promote this group of products. NOTE: Embed a saved search within a QR Code flyer for more flexibility!
• For beginner, intermediate, and advanced methods, strategies, and aids designed to help you generate TripleClicks sales, click HERE.