Wood turning has had a definite place in the commercial world for a great many
years. It is used in various forms in making furniture and furniture parts, building
trim, tool parts, toys, athletic paraphernalia and many other useful and beautiful
articles in common use.
When properly taught in the schools it is one of the most valuable types of
instruction. It appeals to pupils more than any other type of manual work, as it
embodies both the play and work elements. It is very interesting and fascinating
and, in the hands of a skilled instructor, is readily correlated with other work.
Wood turning gives a pupil preliminary experience necessary in pattern making and
machine shop work. It brings into play the scientific element by demonstrating the
laws governing revolving bodies. In bringing the chisel into contact with the
revolving surface, the mathematical principle of the "point of tangency" is
Excellent tool technique is developed in wood turning as on the
exactness of every movement depends the success of the operator, and any slight
variation will spoil a piece of work. This brings in a very close correlation of the
mental and motor activities and also gives the student an opportunity for observing
and thinking while at work.
When his tool makes a "run" he must determine the
reason and figure out why a certain result is obtained when the chisel is held in a
given position. Certain cuts must be fully mastered, and it takes a good deal of
experience and absolute confidence in one's self in manipulating the tools before it
is possible to attempt skillful work. If scraping is allowed the educational value of
the work is lost.
In wood turning a vast field for design and modeling is opened, and art and
architecture can be correlated. The pupil will see for himself the need of variety in
curves and must use his judgment in determining curves that are so harmonious and
pleasing that they will blend together.
If properly taught the beauty in the orders of
architecture can be brought out in the making of the bead, fillet, scotia, cove, etc.
A feeling of importance is excited in a boy when he sees his hands shaping
materials into objects of pleasing form. Wood turning properly taught awakens the
aesthetic sense and creates a desire for the beautiful.
The boy or man who has
learned to make graceful curves and clean-cut fillets and beads will never be
satisfied with clumsy effects which are characteristic in cheap commercial work,
made only to sell.
Success in turning depends on the following
1. Care of lathe, tools, selection of materials.
2. Study of the scientific elements of--
a. Revolving bodies.
b. Points of tangency.
c. Study of results by reasoning and observing.
3. Development of technique and exactness.
4. Correlation of mental and motor activities.
Grab Your Copy For Only . . . $9.95 I know you will get something from this well written eBook!
Remember: Knowledge is power - And Great Knowledge is Powerful. When reading an eBook can
MOVE you - Isn’t that feeling worth the price of the wonderful read? ENJOY! APPLY! SHARE!
There haven't been any reviews for A COURSE IN WOODTURNING - THE MOST EFFECTIVE WAYS TO USE A LATHE AND USE WOOD TOOLS yet.
VILLAGESHOPPER - DONALD J THORN Refund Policy
VILLAGE SHOPPER RETURN POLICY:
THE CUSTOMER HAS 30 DAYS FROM THE ORDER DATE TO RETURN THE PRODUCT
THE PRODUCT CANNOT BE DAMAGED IN ANY WAY AND IN RESALABLE CONDITION
IT MUST BE PROPERLY PACKAGED AND THE CUSTOMER MUST PAY RETURN POSTAGE
SEND RETURNS TO:
909 NORTH PEGGY DRIVE
ROBINSON, TX 76706
IF THE ITEM HAS BEEN OPENED BUT UNHARMED IN ANY WAY, PROPERLY PACKAGED AND
RETURNED IN RESALABLE CONDITION AND CUSTOMER PAYS RETURN POSTAGE, WHEN RECEIVED,
VILLAGESHOPPER WILL TELL TRIPLECLICKS TO REFUND SALE PRICE ONLY WITHOUT POSTAGE
IF THERE WAS A PURCHASE OF SOFTWARE - IT CAN ONLY BE RETURNED IF THE SOFTWARE IS
DEFECTIVE IN ANY WAY. A RETURN SOFTWARE PACKAGE WILL BE SENT AS REPLACEMENT.
WE WANT YOU TO BE 100% HAPPY WITH YOUR PURCHASE AND WILL GO OUT OF OUR WAY TO
SEE THAT THIS HAPPENS. WE WILL REPLACE DEFECTIVE MERCHANDISE OR REFUND THE
ORIGINAL PURCHASE PRICE UPON RECEIPT OF SUCH ITEMS - REFUNDS COME FROM TRIPLECLICKS.
73 VP (VersaPoints)
Commission Volume (CV): $0.97
Direct Commission (DC): $0.44
TC Executive Pool (EP): $0.39
Co-Sponsor Comm (CSC) $0.15
SO = If part of a Standing Order
• To promote this item, refer prospective customers to:
• To promote ALL of this ECA's listings, refer customers to:
• To promote ALL listings assigned to the Digital Downloads department, refer customers to:
You have 0 VersaPoints so far this month. Earn 73.00 more VP with a purchase of this product or with a sale to a personally referred TripleClicks member. A sale will also earn you a $0.44 Direct Commission.
• The more VP you earn each month, the higher your SFI commissions can go. See the Benefits Chart at the SFI Affiliate Center for complete details.
• Share information about this product via Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, e-mail, and other social networking sites. Just click the "SHARE IT!" button above.
• For a personalized, print-ready QR Code Flyer for this product, click HERE.
• You can also include this product within a shared, saved search promotion link to share in e-mails, business blogs, and your personal and business Websites. Simply search for a group of products to promote, using any or all filters and sorts you want. Then click the "SHARE THESE RESULTS" button on the right side of the page above the filters to generate a unique, short (tcgo.info) URL. Use this URL to promote this group of products. NOTE: Embed a saved search within a QR Code flyer for more flexibility!
• For beginner, intermediate, and advanced methods, strategies, and aids designed to help you generate TripleClicks sales, click HERE.