7 Questions to Ask Before You Advertise
by Michele Pariza Wacek
Most business owners and managers keep a fairly close eye on their marketing budgets.
And nothing throws a budget out of whack faster than advertising.
Advertising, or paying good money to get your message in front of your target market,
still has a place in your marketing mix, although it's not quite as effective as it once was.
If you're going to advertise, you need to be smart about it -- or you can quickly find
yourself with a blown budget and not much to show for it. Below are seven questions to
ask yourself before writing out that check.
1. Do you need to generate customers/traffic/leads/etc. right away? If so, then you better
pull out your wallet. Advertising is hands down the fastest way to get your message in
front of your target market. (You're paying for placement after all.)
2. Do you have another way to get the word out about your business? For instance, do
you have a customer database or an e-zine list? If so, then you might be better off sending
an e-mail (assuming you have customers' e-mails). Although technically e-mail
announcements fall under advertising, I'm not counting it in this particular case because
it's more or less free (or very low cost).
Perhaps you have a good news angle and a good relationship with a reporter. Or you have
a high-traffic Web site and/or blog. Or maybe you're an active volunteer with a large
organization and can use networking to get the message out.
But if none of those really apply, then you'd better take a closer look at advertising.
3. Do you need to augment your other marketing efforts? Maybe you have articles
featured on a Web site targeted to your customer base. Great when your article is front
and center and not-so-great when your article is buried in archives. A little advertising on
that site can keep you in your target market's sight all the time. Or maybe you struck gold
and got a big article written about your company in the perfect trade publication.
Fantastic for that month and not-so-fantastic for the other 11 months of the year. Or
maybe it's taking you longer than you'd like to drive traffic to your Web site. Advertising
is good for speeding things along.
Frequency is king when it comes to marketing -- if you're out of your customers' sight,
you're probably out of their mind when it comes to buying time. Advertising is a good
way to beef up or speed up what you're already doing.
4. Are other marketing methods not appropriate in this situation? Let's say you want to
have a sale. But your customer database is small (or nonexistent). Your Web site has
minimal traffic. And you aren't going to get any bites from the media since having a sale
isn't news. What do you do? Run some ads.
5. Would you rather save time than money? Let's face it. Running an ad is easy. Other
marketing methods are more time-consuming. If you want your marketing to be easy,
then advertising is about as easy as it's going to get. (Now there is a caveat to this one,
because you can hire people to do some of those marketing tasks, such as updating Web
sites, running PR campaigns, etc. However, not everything can be hired out so you still
might be stuck spending time you don't have.)
6. Are you planning to test a new campaign or a new product/target market? Running
small, inexpensive ads can be a good way to test certain marketing aspects before
launching big, expensive, time-consuming campaigns. If you want to penetrate a new
market or if you have a new product to launch or a new marketing message to try, buy
some ads and see what the response rate is. Another strength of advertising is control --
you have total control over your test.
7. Do other marketing approaches never quite measure up? It happens. Advertising in one
or two specific media outlets seem to generate more sales and more leads then anything
else you've tried. If that's the case, then don't mess with it. As the old saying goes, if it
ain't broke, don't fix it.
Creativity Exercise -- Advertising and your business
Is advertising right for your business? Try this exercise and see.
1. What's your biggest marketing challenge right now? Write it down.
2. Go through the above list of questions and ask yourself each one. Does it apply to your
situation? If it does, write that down too.
3. Do some brainstorming. In what ways can you use advertising to solve your marketing
challenges? What media would work best? Online? Print? Radio? Television? Direct
mail? Something else? Make up an ad for a variety of media.
Now do the exact opposite. Think of ways advertising WON'T work for your business.
Brainstorm at least 25 reasons why advertising won't work for your specific situation. Be
silly. It's a good way to loosen you up.
4. Go back and reread both your pro and con lists. Now read your ads. Do you like what
you came up with? Do any of them resonate with you, even now after coming up with
your list of objections?
Grab Your Copy For Only . . . $2.95 I know you will get something from this well written eBook!
Remember: Knowledge is power - And Great Knowledge is Powerful. When reading an eBook can
MOVE you - Isn’t that feeling worth the price of the wonderful read? ENJOY! APPLY! SHARE!
THIS EBOOK IS NOT CHEAP - I JUST PRICE IT SO MORE PEOPLE CAN ENJOY WHAT IT SAYS.
EVERYONE IS SELLING THEIR EBOOKS TOO HIGH, LEAVING GOOD PEOPLE LIKE YOURSELF OUT IN THE COLD. COME BACK IN AND ENJOY A GOOD READ BY THE FIRE
I'VE PRICED THIS EBOOK VERY REASONABLY SO ANY FAMILY CAN AFFORD IT. FEEL FREE TO ENJOY THIS TITLE AND LOOK AT ALL 1,500 EBOOKS
I HAVE AVAILABLE AT:
THANK YOU - HAVE FUN - DON THORN
There haven't been any reviews for THE GREAT BIG BOOK OF INTERNET MARKETING - You can now have the biggest compilation of no nonsense yet.
VILLAGESHOPPER - DONALD J THORN Refund Policy
VILLAGE SHOPPER RETURN POLICY:
THE CUSTOMER HAS 30 DAYS FROM THE ORDER DATE TO RETURN THE PRODUCT
THE PRODUCT CANNOT BE DAMAGED IN ANY WAY AND IN RESALABLE CONDITION
IT MUST BE PROPERLY PACKAGED AND THE CUSTOMER MUST PAY RETURN POSTAGE
SEND RETURNS TO:
909 NORTH PEGGY DRIVE
ROBINSON, TX 76706
IF THE ITEM HAS BEEN OPENED BUT UNHARMED IN ANY WAY, PROPERLY PACKAGED AND
RETURNED IN RESALABLE CONDITION AND CUSTOMER PAYS RETURN POSTAGE, WHEN RECEIVED,
VILLAGESHOPPER WILL TELL TRIPLECLICKS TO REFUND SALE PRICE ONLY WITHOUT POSTAGE
IF THERE WAS A PURCHASE OF SOFTWARE - IT CAN ONLY BE RETURNED IF THE SOFTWARE IS
DEFECTIVE IN ANY WAY. A RETURN SOFTWARE PACKAGE WILL BE SENT AS REPLACEMENT.
WE WANT YOU TO BE 100% HAPPY WITH YOUR PURCHASE AND WILL GO OUT OF OUR WAY TO
SEE THAT THIS HAPPENS. WE WILL REPLACE DEFECTIVE MERCHANDISE OR REFUND THE
ORIGINAL PURCHASE PRICE UPON RECEIPT OF SUCH ITEMS - REFUNDS COME FROM TRIPLECLICKS.
79 VP (VersaPoints)
Commission Volume (CV): $1.05
Direct Commission (DC): $0.47
TC Executive Pool (EP): $0.42
Co-Sponsor Comm (CSC) $0.16
SO = If part of a Standing Order
• To promote this item, refer prospective customers to:
• To promote ALL of this ECA's listings, refer customers to:
• To promote ALL listings assigned to the Digital Downloads department, refer customers to:
You have 0 VersaPoints so far this month. Earn 79.00 more VP with a purchase of this product or with a sale to a personally referred TripleClicks member. A sale will also earn you a $0.47 Direct Commission.
• The more VP you earn each month, the higher your SFI commissions can go. See the Benefits Chart at the SFI Affiliate Center for complete details.
• Share information about this product via Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, e-mail, and other social networking sites. Just click the "SHARE IT!" button above.
• For a personalized, print-ready QR Code Flyer for this product, click HERE.
• You can also include this product within a shared, saved search promotion link to share in e-mails, business blogs, and your personal and business Websites. Simply search for a group of products to promote, using any or all filters and sorts you want. Then click the "SHARE THESE RESULTS" button on the right side of the page above the filters to generate a unique, short (tcgo.info) URL. Use this URL to promote this group of products. NOTE: Embed a saved search within a QR Code flyer for more flexibility!
• For beginner, intermediate, and advanced methods, strategies, and aids designed to help you generate TripleClicks sales, click HERE.